There’s something so exciting about the start of a new year. For a business owner, there’s no time quite like it to reflect on how far you’ve come already and where you want to go in the 365 days that lie ahead. It’s a new opportunity for success, a fresh start, an unwritten chapter, a blank canvas…but are you prepared to make the most of it?
There’s a great quote that says: “Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity.” The theme of this first issue of NAWBO ONE in 2019 is dedicated to preparedness—helping you prepare for success so that you’re ready when opportunity knocks. In this issue, our roundtable features NAWBO chapter presidents sharing how they’re prepared to grow their businesses and chapters. Other good reads include articles on preparing to sell your business, preparing for the upcoming tax season and preparing for market success and growth by developing business capabilities and fueling innovation. Meanwhile, our member spotlight is on a digital marketing firm whose woman business owner spent months on a strategic plan that paid off in a big way when one of her largest clients went another route. She’s now positioned to grow in exiting ways in 2019.
Success means different things for different people, but no matter the type or level of success you’re preparing for in the new year, here are some smart tips to put you on the right track:
- Get organized: To-do lists are your friend. You must get organized to be successful in business.
- Keep detailed records: Always know where your business stands and what potential challenges you could face. Keep detailed records of everything.
- Know your competition: Competition keeps you on your toes and motivates you to push yourself and your business to new heights. Study and learn from your greatest competitors.
- Take a risk or two: Growing your business will sometimes require you to take risks. Always consider the “downside” of each risk and make sure the reward, if successful, will be worth it.
- Be open to new ideas: Always look for ways to get creative and improve your business—this will help you stand out from your competition.
- Focus, focus, focus: Stay focused on achieving your goals. There’s no such thing as an overnight success; it takes time and often sacrifice.
- Provide service like no other: Anyone can provide good customer service; aim to be consistently great so your customers will continue to choose you.
And lastly, turn to NAWBO. This year, like every year, your NAWBO sisterhood is here for you—to lift you up, encourage and inspire you, be your friend and mentor, advocate for you, do business together and so much more. Let us show you what it means to “belong.”
—Molly Gimmel, 2018-2019 NAWBO National Chair